Thursday, January 22, 2009


So, I told myself that I wasn't going to watch the inauguration on Tuesday. I've made my feelings quite clear on this blog, but for those of you who weren't aware, I was one of the few who did not vote for Barak Obama. The biggest issue that I had with him was the Born Alive Infant Protection Act. So, anyway...I had just been feeling anxious about the whole thing and thinking about it way too much. Tuesday morning when I turned on the TV, it was on like channel 43 or something and Nick Jr. is channel 36.

As I clicked through the channels on the way down to 36, I got to Fox on channel 37 and saw the Obama's getting out of the limo to greet the Bush's. I thought, "I'll just stop here for a second and watch this awkward moment". Much to my surprise, there was no awkward moment. It was actually very pleasant to see how respectful and cordial they all were to one another. "Hmm." I thought. So, I sat there GLUED to my television set for the rest of the morning. It wasn't until Reverend Rick Warren walked up to the podium that I had an epiphany. If this man, who is a much better Christian than I, can befriend Obama and embrace him as our president, what is my issue?

I watched the debate between Obama and McCain in Rick Warren's church during the campaign. I heard Rick Warren ask each candidate about abortion and I know what his opinion as a pastor is. As I watched the inauguration and listened to him pray and to Obama listening to him, I thought, "maybe there is hope after all". I realized that by inviting Pastor Warren to give the prayer, Obama was extending an olive branch to those of us who had concerns and who did not vote for him. He did so despite protest from some liberals who don't agree with Pastor Warren's beliefs (ACLU).

It became clear to me that Obama is not going to just be the "patsy" for the left wing radicals and that he is willing to concede that there are those of us who worry about some of his past voting record, but Pastor Warren must have somehow touched Obama during the debate and is now part of his inner circle. I am confident that he is counseling him as well as praying for him and with him.

As I continued to watch, the sense of "American Pride" began to swell up inside me and yes, I even cried at times. This was a very historic inauguration and I was part of it. And, only in America, can candidates go at it and say such terrible things about each other and then, in the end throw dinner parties for each other and exchange gifts. It's all about forgiveness, reconciliation and above all it's about hope. He is our president now.

I don't want to find myself acting like the people who say horrible things about President Bush, or booed him as he entered the inauguration. That is not "American". I want to take the high road and follow the example of Rick Warren. It's time to put the past behind us and unite as a country. God Bless America!

2 comments:

lahenry said...

You said it Robin, that is exactly what happened to me watching it. I have NEVER been interested in politics and somehow watching that inauguration I felt so different about it.

robinbrittagain said...

i guess it just hit me when i was watching it that i "forgot" that God can change hearts and minds. we just all need to PRAY about the abortion issue.. here is a good website....

http://www.ewtn.com/prolife/