Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bumps and Bruises


Well, it was inevitable. We have been playing at the park for more than a year now, and I've been so happy that we haven't experienced any tumbles involving bumps, bruises or scrapes. That all changed on Monday. I felt so awful. He wasn't really running, he was doing this little thing where it's like he has a spring in his step. He does this whenever he is really happy.

Just as he was reaching for the railing on the slide steps, he tripped. (I'm afraid it may have been his beloved froggie boots at fault). He was crying hysterically. I scooped him right up and started the bouncy walk. You moms know what I'm talking about. I thought it was his cheek so things looked well.

A few minutes into the bouncy walk and attempts to distract him with squirrels, turtles and a variety of birds, I thought we had escaped a close call. Just as I started to put him down, I saw it. A marble sized egg over his left eye. Ugh. It was already really blue. I felt sick to my stomach.

It is so weird to me how I got through all of that with the girls. So much worse too; Taylor's breaking her two front teeth at age two, stitches over Britany's eye, her chin too I think, staples in the back of Taylor's head, Britany's broken fingers, Hope's broken wrist and then elbow. Let's not forget the time Britany did several back handsprings in the living room only stopping because she crashed through the french doors; leaving part of her toe behind. I remember the staff in the Emergency Room checking on me as well as I looked as though I was going to faint. Yeah, I guess that was worse than the time Taylor fell and hurt herself "you know where" and the GYN had to meet us in the ER.

I used to joke with the Emergency Room doctors at Franklin Hospital that I needed a reserved parking spot. (Luckily for me I had worked there for years and everyone knew me, or I might have received a visit from social services!)

Although it upset me, I just accepted it as part of the territory for active, fearless kids. But when Christopher came along, something changed. I'm pretty sure it is the fact that when I had him I was 40. When I started with the girls, I was in my early 20's. Also, the lessons of experience are burned into my mind. I just do NOT want to go through ANY of that with him. Especially, sitting in an emergency room for 4 hours (usually late at night). Ugh. No way.

On Tuesday, his eye looked great. Whew. I thought for sure he was going to wake up with one hell of a shiner. On Wednesday, he looked like he had gotten into Mommy's blue eyeshadow.

Today, it is much better. But, I hold my breath every time he starts running!

3 comments:

AnnMarie said...

poor little guy! and did you mention Taylor falling off the bars with her bone sticking out of her arm! ACK!

lahenry said...

Robin, I was wondering why there is a "Calley Wing" at FRH!! LOL just kidding!

robinbrittagain said...

Lisa~I laughed out loud at that one! :-)