Sunday, March 16, 2008

Perseverance


Patrick is obsessed with Derek Jeter. His world revolves around Derek Jeter. So, it's no surprise that while he was down here for his spring vacation, Colin took him to see a Yankees spring training game at Legends field. It is also no surprise that Patrick insisted on arriving at least two hours early and staying at least two or three hours afterward in order to "stalk" the players for autographs.

However, when we all went to the International Plaza yesterday, I thought it was a bit much for him to spend the entire visit there on the prowl for Derek Jeter. "C'mon Patrick", I'd say. "What are the odds that Derek Jeter will just so happen to be at the mall today?" Colin's cousin Winnie even scolded him a bit at one point telling him that he was too obsessed with Derek Jeter.

He is tenacious though. Without embarrassment, he stopped at several stores, restaurants and kiosks to inquire about his hero. Low and behold someone told him that he had been at the mall the previous day at a restaurant called The Bamboo Club. Without hesitation, he ran off to the restaurant to inquire within about the whereabouts of his favorite short stop. The story was confirmed. He had indeed enjoyed a meal there the day before with none other than Tiger Woods. "Sure" I thought.

"Okay. Someone is messing with this kid. Give me a break". I didn't want to burst his bubble so I smiled politely and said "Wow!". Predictably enough, as we were leaving, he asked Colin if he could check the restaurant one last time. With a sigh, Colin said "Yes, but HURRY. We're leaving". Winnie and I kept walking past the restaurant, anxious to get to the van and sit down.

As I passed by a large picture window, I just casually glanced into the restaurant, mainly to see if I could spot Patrick bugging the hostess again. That's when I almost fell over. There he was. Big as life. Sitting RIGHT in front of the window. Yup, Derek Jeter opening wide to take a bite of something. Winnie and I instantly looked at each other and said in stereo, "Oh, my God. There he is!"

Luckily, I always carry my camera in my purse and Colin ran to a kiosk to borrow a sharpie. Not only did Patrick get his cap signed by Derek Jeter, but his dinner companion, NY Yankees catcher, Jorge Pasado as well. Mr. Jeter was also gracious enough to pose for a picture with his number one fan!

Naturally, I owed Patrick an apology, which I delivered with a wide smile!

2 comments:

AnnMarie said...

amazing! what are the odds of that???? great pic!

lahenry said...

so cool!